While intention is a vital component of a Witch’s spell isn’t the ONLY component within it. Thinking something isn’t the only thing required of the Witch in order to create a change, one must also move, unless of course that individual has reached such an
Magick is the art and craft of manipulating Will, emotions, and energy in order to create a change within an individual’s reality, whether it is around or within that individual. Manipulation requires skillful action usually with one’s hands.
Intention is defined by Merriam-Wester Online Dictionary as: the determination to act in a certain way, what one intends to do or bring about. Though the word intention is a noun, it suggests action with “to do”.
During the discussion, Melissa noted that she believed that intention was the beginning of spell casting it wasn’t in and of itself the spell, nor was it the same as visualization. How true!
A Witch may sit outside at night beneath the full moon and decide that he or she desires to bring prosperity into their life and while sitting there on the earth underneath the beauty of that night sky, while gazing at the luminescence of that full moon, they may devise a plan on how to execute their determination or desire to be prosperous, but this in and of itself, as I just described, it is NOT a spell. This is just the beginning of the work that spell crafting and casting requires. That Witch may use the word “intention” when discussing their experience with others, and while it describes what he or she has done, it is not casting a spell. I’ve heard it and I’m sure you’ve heard it, whether during in person conversations or in online forums and facebook groups:
“Oh, yes, I cast a spell last night during my full moon ritual. I sent out the intention to be more prosperous.”
And if we replace the word “intention” with the definition as found in Merriam-Webster:
“Oh, yes, I cast a spell last night during my full moon ritual. I sent out the determination to act to be more prosperous.”
Great! How exciting for you! But what you did was not spell casting. You have more work still left to do. What are you going to do now that you’ve set this resolve for yourself? Are you ready to really work and cast the spell to bring about that change in your life? What are you planning to do in your mundane life to allow that desired change to manifest for you?
Spell crafting and casting requires actual physical mundane work. Witchcraft requires the Witch to exert effort to create and manifest the changes he or she desires to experience. Witchcraft and spell casting are actions of both mind and body through the work of spirit. If the individual is not engaging all aspects of Witch (the self) then I dare say that the individual is NOT spell casting regardless of what he or she believes or labels it.
So, what are the components of a spell? Are you saying that intention is not necessary? Of course I’m not stating that intention is not necessary! Without the intention then you have neither goal nor the beginning of a plan on how to achieve that goal. As Melissa stated, it is the beginning of something more.
To cast a successful spell the following is required:
- An intention, which will include the desired goal and the steps on achieve this goal
- A target, who or what will be changed or affected
- Correspondences, those items and associations that align with the goal of the intention, which enable the energy to be brought into entrainment ensuring a greater success rate for the spell.
- Power, the energy used to propel the intention towards the target for manifestation, which can be found not only within the human body, but within the natural environment, from the non-physical realms and spiritual entities, and Universal Source or divinity.
- Words, the symbols of the desired goal that span all realms of existence; they exist in the non-physical, but once written or spoken become tangible to the immediate senses thus manifesting that which didn’t exist.
- The Witch, the individual who is; self-aware, skillful in achieving the required state in order to visualize the intention, the goal, and if the target isn’t present, the target, and to harness the siphoned power so that it can be successfully used to propel the spell.
At this point I would suggest that work and effort are required as previously mentioned in this blog, but honestly the Witch is self-aware and already has this knowledge and understanding. It is an obvious point to all magickal practitioners, illustrated within The Witch's Pyramid, also known as; the Four Pillars of the Witches’ Temple, the Four Powers of the Magician (Magus), the Four Secrets of the Sphinx, and the Hermetic Quantinary. It is considered a fundamental occult philosophy shared by all practical and esoteric magick. A Witch who ignores this philosophy illustrates his or her ignorance of the nature of magick for without this solid foundation, the Cone of Power will fail and manifestation will not occur. To read more about The Witch’s Pyramid see this blog post.
So my final statement on this topic is that intention is vital, but is not the ONLY thing a spell requires. I encourage you to watch the Live Stream from Deviant Witchery below: